The U.S general in the Middle East has announced that 2,200 U.S soldiers will withdraw from Iraq by the end of this month. The announcement was made yesterday, Wednesday 9 in Baghdad.
Both the U.S Marine General Frank Mckenzie and the Minister of Defense for Iraq made the announcement. This is to serve as a confirmation that the reduction in military presence is a consultation between the two parties involved.
“The United States has decided to reduce our troop presence in Iraq from about 5,200 to 3,000 troops during the month of September. This reduced footprint allows us to continue advising and assisting our Iraq partners in rooting out the final remnants of ISIS in Iraq and ensuring it’s enduring defeat,” Mckenzie said.
The entire decision and announcement was, however, a coordinated effort between the Pentagon and President Donald Trump. Trump has vowed to come out of “endless wars.” This proceeds Trump accusing his opponent, Joe Bidden for throwing in support for the Iraq War in 2002 as a member of the U.S. Senate. As a result, he has campaigned that he will let the U.S military out of the Middle East.
While accepting the Republican presidential nomination at the White House last month, President Trump said, “Unlike previous administrations, I have kept America out of new wars and our troops are coming home.”
Gen. McKenzie threw more light on the partnership between the U.S. and Iraqi forces. According to him, the withdrawal decision was possible because “our confidence in the Iraqi Security Forces’ increased ability to operate independently.”
“The journey has been difficult, the sacrifice has been great, but the progress has been significant,” McKenzie said.
The U.S. soldiers invaded Iraq in 2003 under President George W. Bush. At the height of the Iraq War in 2007, the U.S. had on the Asian soil 170,000 troops, sadly, over 750 were killed in action.
Fortunately, President Obama declared an end to the Iraq War in 2011. However, he had to send troops back to Iraq in 2014 to fight ISIS.